Create VM's?

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I am very new to working with servers, hyper v, and whatnot.  I have Hyper V Server Core installed and got the Core Configurator up and running.  In the Hyper-V VM Manager I can stop or start VM's but can I not create them from this?  I don't have any VM's and I'd like to create VM's and practice configuring them and such because I want to get an MCTS in Virtualization eventually.  Can anyone offer some advice as I am most likely completely overlooking something?

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hi

CoreConfigurator is not a tool for managing VM's. You need to install RSAT tools on another Server 2008, Vista or Win 7 box and manage from there. This goes for managing most things on Server Core, unless you're a complete command line geek! (I'd have to hold my hands up to this comment)

I suggest you do a bit of research on Server Core itself and how to manage it remotely.

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Thanks Andy for the reply,

Core Configurator will enable to set the RSAT rules on the firewall tab for remote access to your host.

The Hyper-V function in CoreConfig is to just enable you to view thunmbnails and start/stop VM, If anyone has more code to add to CoreConfig to increase the Hyper-V functionality then please edit the PS1 send it over to me and i'll include in the next release.

Enjoy..