CC won't start

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Hi, I'm having problem starting CC on Hyper-V R2 Server. I've downloaded the .ISO on another computer, extracted all the files, copied over to the H-V server's local HDD (the path doesn't contain any spaces).

Now when I run Start_Coreconfig.wsf, cscript window pops up and reports that I already have NetFx and PSH installed, but it stops there. There's another PSH window opened by the CC, but nothing is happening there. The main menu never appears.

Any ideas?

Edit: when i close the PSH window, I'll get an error message: "Error: During launch of CoreConfig! ReturnCode: -1073741510. Please copy source to local drive and try again."

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Same here for me even with SP1 installed.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Yeah, and this is interesting.  So, I opened sconfig and decided I would enable Remote Management.  I selected the option to do that, but it thought PowerShell was not installed.  That was weired so I selected the option to Install PowerShell, a quick window pop-up occurred setting the exectuion policy to 'remote signed' and then when I tried starting Core Configurator - it worked!!!

Explain that!

Give it a shot and see what happens.

Chuck

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up Chuck.

Based on what you wrote, I specifically ran the "Enabled PowerShell" option (we already have Remote Management allowed (well MMC Remote Management)). CC started to work then. What's weird about that is that I already had PSH configured to "RemoteSigned" and even have it added to system PATH variable.

I've inspected what sconfig does for that option and it's not much - there's a function called EnablePowerShell() that does the setting. If I'm reading that right, sconfig considers PSH "installed" when execution policy is set to RemoteSigned .... whenever it's set to any different value, PSH is considered as NOT installed. Funny stuff....

Anyway, thanks for the pointers, CC finally works for me too. Too bad it can't do what I originally sought after (disable devices in device manager style).

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:25 PM

There is actually a doc for being able to use Device Manager Remotely  - http://www.nullsession.com/downloadfiles/scrmwp/ServerCoreRemoteManagementWhitepaper.pdf

Glad you got it working.

Chuck

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Don't wanna go too offtopic here .... I know about that doc. The point is that even if you enable remote access to pnp, that will still only give you read-only access to device manager.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Hi Guys,

Ok so it looks like we have an issue with SP1, from the above discussions it looks like an issue with the execution policy;

Chuck you mentioned that you set the execution policy to 'remote signed' and Core Configurator ran succesfully!

Does anyone have more information around how they fixed it for their enviroment, I'm going to have a look at the code tonight and try and get a fix ASAP.

Regards
Tony

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM

What happened in my case...just for grins, I decided to enable remote management so I selected Option 4 in sconfig and then option 3 which would not run becasue it thought PowerShell was not installed, which it was becasue trying to run Core Configurator took care of that.  So, I selected option 2 to enable PowerShell but all that happened was a quick command window pop-up and the Remote Signed execution policy was set and that was it.  After that Core Configurator worked fine.